Trinity Church, Barrie is a Christian community in the Anglican tradition and has been part of Barrie for 182 years. Anglican worship began in Barrie as early as 1833 when the Rev.Adam Elliot, a travelling missionary, conducted an Anglican service in a log house in Barrie.In 1834, the Rev. T.H.M. Bartlett became the first rector of Shanty Bay, but also came to Barrie to hold Prayer Book services in private homes. In 1835, Mr. Bartlett conducted the first services and preached the first sermon in the new Trinity church building on Berczy Street, in Barrie. The Rev. Samuel B. Ardagh came from Ireland as a missionary and became our first rector in 1842. We occupy the present site because ice and snow made it impossible for parishioners to climb the hill to the first church building on Berczy Street during the winter. Until then, for over 20 years, winter services were often held in the parish schoolhouse in Marks street (now Simcoe Street).
Eventually, in 1864, a new church building was erected on the present site, still on a hill, but more accessible. Seventy years later, on May 9th 1934, lightning struck the church steeple (which has never been replaced) and the ensuing fire completely gutted the interior. The restored building was reopened in November of the same year and was much the same as we know it today. The school lots on Marks Street were sold and a new schoolhouse was built below the church on what is now Collier Street. This building was later used as a Parish Hall and Sunday School until 1957 when it was replaced by the present hall, connected by a tower walk. In 1981, the under croft was completely redesigned and rebuilt to accommodate present needs.
We belong to the family of churches known as the Anglican World Communion. It is organized into 'provinces', such as the Episcopal Church of the United States, the Church of England along with many others including the Anglican Church of Canada. Together we share in a common tradition of catholic faith and tradition. The 8 Anglican Churches of Barrie and area are linked closely to each other and, through our Diocese, the rest of the Anglican Community.
Trinity Anglican Church welcomes all of God's creations.